I live in Seattle, where the summers are quite sunny. So I need to change my regimen from skincare products for the rainier, cloudier fall and winter to a more sunny and outdoor spring and summer. Summer skin care introduces higher zinc sunscreens, that’s more obvious. But there are some lesser known products you should consider. This is clearly more relevant if you live in a “4 season” climate. If you live in warm parts of the world, think the “summer” skin protection all year around.
- Increase your sun protection in the summer with higher zinc/titanium sunscreens (they block UVA better, especially the zinc) and double layer/reapply if you’re outside. Here’s a great one I use and recommend to patients.
- Decrease your retinoid (Vit A cousin) use. I change from my fall/winter Renova at night to the lower strength Madison MD Zero Irritation Retinol and use it 2-3 times a week by adding a drop to any hydroxy/glycolic creams.
- Increase antioxidant use to twice a day.
- Add the Madison MD Uneven Pigment Fighter twice a day as prevention, because we tend to get more brown spots in the summer.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen on your neck, chest and hands, every day.
Enjoy the sun 🙂
Hope this helps,
Brandith Irwin, MD
See Dr. Irwin’s Own Spring Summer Product Regimen
Stay tuned for the latest in effective skin care from the American Academy of Dermatology meeting.
Blog post coming soon.